ACADEMY AWARD NOMINEE PETER WELLER & WARHOL SUPERSTAR PENNY ARCADE
HEADLINE 50TH ANNIVERSARY OF WILLIAM S. BURROUGHS’ THE NAKED LUNCH
Chicago joins Paris, London, New York & San Francisco tributes to Burroughs with new documentary & art exhibition
WHAT: Academy Award nominee Peter Weller will host a celebration of the 50th anniversary of the groundbreaking novel Naked Lunch by legendary Beat author and American icon William S. Burroughs.
Featuring an art exhibition at Th!nkArt Salon of William S. Burroughs’ paintings and drawings on paper and never-before-seen footage of his turbulent life in a trailer of the feature-length documentary: William S. Burroughs: A Man Within by Yony Leyser. The documentary features exclusive interviews with John Waters, Genesis P-Orridge, Laurie Anderson, Peter Weller, Iggy Pop, David Cronenberg, Gus Van Sant, James Grauerholz, and Sonic Youth.
This star-studded evening catered by Chef David Leigh will feature live music by Maya Jensen with readings, happenings, and performances by authors, poets, and Beat scholars.
WHY: William S. Burroughs, often called one of the greatest and most influential writers of the twentieth century, was a seminal figure of the Beat generation.
WHO: Featured authors, poets, Beat scholars include:
· Peter Weller, star of David Cronenberg’s film Naked Lunch (1991)
· Penny Arcade, Andy Warhol Superstar, Performance Artist, Writer
· Anne Waldman, Poet, Co-founder of the Jack Kerouac School of Disembodied Poetics
· John Giorno, Poet, Giorno Poetry Systems
· Hal Willner, Musical Director, Saturday Night Live, recorded Burroughs, Dead City Radio (1990)
· James Grauerholz, William S. Burroughs Estate Executor
· John Long, author, Drugs and the Beats
· Kurt Hemmer, author, Encyclopedia of Beat Literature
· Tony Trigilio, author, Allen Ginsberg’s Buddhist Poetics
· Dr. Bill Ayers, Distinguished Professor, University of Illinois at Chicago
Star-studded Art Exhibition 5:30 P.M. to 9:30 P.M. Friday, August 28, 2009 Th!nkArt Salon 1530 N. Paulina St., Suite F Chicago, IL. Admission $60 online and $75 at the door includes After-Party. After-Party 9:30 P.M. until it ends Featuring: David Daniell & Douglas McCombs (Tortoise, Thrill Jockey), Penny Aracde & DJs STOP SMILING Storefront 1371 N. Milwaukee Ave., Chicago, IL. Admission at the door $10.
Donations accepted online at www.cimmfest.org for $60 or at the door for $75, price includes both events. For more information call 773.252.2294 ext. 304.
Quimby’s is proud to be on hand at Th!nkArt Salon to sell books, including Naked Lunch, The Fiftieth Anniversary Edition (Grove Press).