Join us as we celebrate Mildred Pierce‘s fourth issue, the theme of which is “Comedy and the Grotesque.” A number of Chicago artists and writers are featured in this bad boy, with a cover designed and screenprinted by Edie Fake.
The evening’s program will feature readings and performances by MP contributors James Tadd Adcox (Artifice Magazine), Edie Fake (Gaylord Phoenix), Jim Joyce (Or Let It Sink), Vicky Lim (Dear Jaguar), Ed Choy Moorman (editor/publisher, Ghost Comics), and writer/artist Ellen Nielsen.
Mildred Pierce is a (maga)zine, co-founded in 2005 by John Bylander and Megan Milks and co-edited by the same. It is a somewhat annual zine dealing in art, writing and countercultural cultural criticism.
Refreshments will be provided. A limited edition zine will be sold.
For more info: http://mildredpierce.wordpress.com
Eight years in the making , Gaylord Phoenix collects all of Edie Fake’s raunchy queer comics serial in one volume. Perverse and surreal , Gaylord Phoenix follows the danger-fraught journeys of the Gaylord Phoenix, a creature willing to sacrifice anything for lost love and hidden memories. In an ever-shifting landscape full of ever-shifting genders, Gaylord Phoenix plunges head-first into a realm full of murderous psychedelic smut and intense magical beauty.
Shenanigans are planned for one fun and epic release night at Quimby’s. Fake will be on hand to crack bad jokes and sign books, along with homemade penis-shaped cookies and special limited-edition mix tapes and objets-de-arte available for free with each Gaylord book and comic purchase.
Edie Fake was born in Chicagoland in 1980. He graduated from the Rhode Island School of Design in Providence in 2002 and has since clocked time in New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco and Baltimore. He’s received a Critical Fierceness Grant for queer art and was one of the first recipients of Printed Matter’s Awards for Artists. His drawings have been included in Hot and Cold, Creative Time Comics, and LTTR. Gaylord is his first full-length book. Currently, he lives in Chicago where he works as a minicomics sommelier for Quimby’s Books.
For more info: www.ediefake.com
Thurs, December 9th, 2010 7pm
1. Xed Out HC by Charles Burns (Pantheon) $19.95 - Ever wonder what would happen if Charles Burns took over drawing TinTin? Today’s your lucky day, punk. You like eggs, don’t you? And! Don’t miss Charles Burns at Quimby’s on 11/3!
2. Acme Novelty Library #20: Lint by Chris Ware (D&Q) $23.95 – A completely wrenching tale of Jordan Lint’s awful life, rendered with Ware’s perfectly rendered tangential velocities that vault us back and forth through memory, fixation, anticipation and communication. Ware leaves us all awestruck again and again as his flawless craftsmenship builds a visual narrative that can eviscerate the hidden space between cause and effect in all the little (and big) damages of living. -EF
3. Scam #7 The Return of Miami Spr 10 $3.25
4. Slingshot 2011 Large Organizer $12.00
5. Bizarre #168 Nov 10 $10.50
6. Best American Nonrequired Reading 2010, edited by Dave Eggers (HM) $14.95
7. Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk by David Sedaris (LB) $21.95
8. Make #9 Spr Sum 10
9. Maximumrocknroll #330 Part Two Nov 10 $4.00
10. Womanimalistic #1
Edie with Gaylord Phoenix
Look how proud we are of our Edie here at Quimby’s. He’s with his new book Gaylord Phoenix, published by Secret Acres!