SO YOU WANT TO HAVE AN EVENT AT QUIMBY’S BOOKSTORE IN CHICAGO…
Events at Quimby’s Bookstore (we’re talking the Quimby’s Bookstore in Chicago, not Quimby’s Bookstore NYC) are not limited to signings, readings, and release events. That being said, if you’re inquiring about having an open-mic poetry night, I’ll save you a lot of time: the answer is no.
Before filling out the event application, please take the time to read our Event Guidelines before deciding whether or not you want to have your event at Quimby’s. I repeat myself: read the guidelines and answer all of the questions.
One last thing. Read the Guidelines below before filling out the form.
THE OFFICIAL QUIMBY’S EVENT GUIDELINES
The Events page on our web site lists scheduled events. Please choose a date that is open and conforms to our store hours (Monday-Thursday: 12-9PM, Friday: 12-10PM, Saturday: 11-10PM, Sunday: 12-6PM). Events must be planned at least one month in advance.
- Events must run no more than one hour.
- Events are limited to 5 performers.
- 5 people: each gets 5-7 minutes.
- 4 people: each gets ten minutes.
- 3 people: each gets 15 minutes.
- 1-2 people: each gets 20 minutes.
- Bands and musicians are strongly encouraged to find a different venue, unless your band totally fucking rocks, in which case you are very strongly encouraged to find a different venue.
- If your event is in celebration of a product that Quimby’s sells, we would like that item to be sold through the store during the event. However, if you have “extras” which Quimby’s does not normally sell (i.e. t-shirts, CDs, tiki mugs), you are free to sell directly to customers. Please let us know in advance if this is the case. Otherwise, we ask that you and your fellow performers put your zine/comic/book on consignment and sell it through the store.
- We will appreciate your help in cleaning up after your event.
- Any potentially excessive messes, such as glitter, confetti, pork chops — yes, we have had pork chop-related incidents in the past — or any other unusual or otherwise messy items not usually found in a bookstore must be planned and cleared beforehand with staff.
- The furniture stays where it is.
- Slideshows must be cleared with us in advance.
- Lights will remain turned on during the event.
- Please clear any refreshments you are planning with Quimby’s.
- BYOB is okay by us.
- Getting all sloppy drunk at the event is not okay.
- Underage drinking at the event is prohibited. If the staff sees any minors drinking at your event, the guilty parties will be forever banned from Quimby’s, and so will you.
- No kegs, “party balls”, or flavored malt beverages.
- Your event proposal must be supplied to Quimby’s at least one month in advance – no exceptions! This means that if you want your event to be on September 11, you must submit this form no later than August 11.
- You are responsible for notifying all performers about the above listed conditions.
- In return, Quimby’s will:
- Let you use our space at no cost.
- List your event on our web page.
- Include your event on our poster, monthly flier, and monthly email list.
- Write and send a press release to every media outlet we have thought of (free weeklies, key figures, newspapers, radio stations, etc).
- Whisper your name into the gentle Summer breeze.