1. Monocle vol 5 #47 Oct 11 $10.00
2. Cambodian Grrrl: Self Publishing in Phnom Penh by Anne Elizabeth Moore (Cantankerous) $7.95 – Thanks to everybody that came out to this event last week!
3. Optic Nerve #12 by Adrian Tomine (D&Q) $5.95 – Two pitch-perfect stories of rejection, imperfection, and relationship drama, each ending on a surprisingly uplifting note. “Hortisculpture” pushes Tomine into a stylistic camp with Sammy Harkham, Jordan Crane, Chuck Forsman and Kevin Huizenga – perhaps more than ever before. The story works with a “Chalky White”-ish suburban everyman and his tempered ambitions, but camps up the visual style into a Marmaduke-y newspaper strip aesthetic. The effect is similar to the trickiness of his wedding planning comics. The second half is a repolishing of his “Amber Sweet” college girl mistaken for porn star plot. Plus we get a glimpse into Tomine’s sad-sack mailbox, and some self-aware griping about putting out comics issue by issue. -EF
4. Bust Oct Nov 11 $4.99
5. Future Tense (Pegacorn Press) $9.00 – Comics anthology with work by Jo Dery, Josh Bayer, Al Burian, Edie Fake and more.
6. Crap Hound #8 Superstition $12.00 – Clip art galore, collage style. Once you open it you can’t put it doooowwwnnn, superstitious theeeeeemed in time for Halloweeeeeeeeeeeeeen!
7. Hack: Stories From a Chicago Cab by Dimitri Samarov (U of Chicago) $20.00
8. Simple History Series #5: Hawaii 1778-1959 From Western Discovery to Statehood by J. Gerlach $2.50
9. Best American Comics 2011 – ed. by Alison Bechdel and Abel/Madden (HM) $25.00 – Don’t miss Dykes to Watch Out For/Fun Home artist Alison Bechdel here at Quimby’s this week, Sat, Oct 8th, 7pm to talk about her experience as special guest editor for this year’s anthology.
10. Neighbour Cats #2 by The Waterbear Appreciation Society $2.50